Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Garden Planning, 101

~Planning a garden with help from the little ones

 

100_6455100_6465100_6486

 

It may be hard to imagine planting a garden when there is snow on the ground and a chill in the air.  As my desire for spring is nearing it’s peak, I can’t help but think this is the perfect time for curling up by the fire and dreaming up my grand garden.  Truth be told, it won’t be long before those first seeds can be sown.  Now is the perfect time for ordering seeds and finishing the spring cleaning (so you don’t miss a single moment outside once the weather warms).

Gardening with littles is hard, unless…

garden planning 014

You get them involved in the planning.

garden planning 010

Gather up those seed catalogs and a piece of brown paper. 

~Oh, Seed Savers, how I adore you…  Such beautiful pictures and rare varieties… 

 garden planning 022garden planning 025

Let them make lists of their favorite varieties.

Sarah is particularly taken with the pink variety of blueberries that are so popular this year…

garden planning 032

It just seems wrong, doesn’t it?  Cutting up catalogs that are so pretty.  Give ‘em the scissors.  You know you are going to order online anyway!

garden planning 029

Now, let them plant the crops in neat little rows.

garden planning 035

Oh, what a pretty little garden!  Look how it’s coming together!

garden planning 051

Will it all fit?  Looks like we’ll be tilling up a bit more ground this year. 

Now, if I could just get them so excited about cleaning their rooms….

 

 

*Know anyone who might enjoy reading stuff here at FLTS?  Don’t forget the cool little tool over on the right side of my blog…  You can share my silly little blog with your friends on facebook or on twitter.  Thanks for sharing!  :)

5 comments:

  1. Love it!! We will have to do that soon, sad to say we don't have room to expand our garden even though I would like to (I think?!?!?).We are only on year #2 ofgardening and last years kinda turned into a pumpkin patch!! But ya live ya learn right :). It was fun and now we know to only plant the small pumpkins if any at all! Would you mind posting the website address from you seed catalogs, we don't get any of those and those are some nice looking colorful ones! My kids would LOVE them and this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://scienceblogs.com/casaubonsbook/2011/01/im_back.php
    The above link will take you to a great place to find good seed companies. I can't compete with her list. It's amazing.
    I love Seed Savers. I also love the general store that's located a few minutes from my house... Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea! My children would love this project - and I have more catalogs then I know what to do with!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have been dreaming of spring and thinking about starting to plan my garden. It's true that even thought it seems a long way away, it's really not too far off. (I keep telling myself that anyways, in the midst of the permacloud we've had here the past month or so.)

    Love this idea! Such a fun way to get the kiddos involved! I'm sure my daughter will love doing a project like this. Found you through link-up at No Time for Flash Cards - thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Last year we used a seed catalog to make a poster grouping our items into "what part we eat" - that is, the fruit, the root, the leaf, etc. Someday I'll do the same but separate them by plant order/family/genus/whatever. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. Comments make me so happy that I dance around the room! ;)