Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Are you thinking about going for cloth diapers?

So, lots of people have asked me about cloth diapers and I figured I'd just put this out for y'all.

1. Cloth diapers are not hard to clean. Wet ones get dropped in a bucket. Dirties get swished in the potty to remove any solids and dropped in a bucket. Then, the bucket gets emptied into my washer and the diapers get washed with mild detergent and hot water. I pull the diapers out at the end of the wash and throw 'em on a drying rack. End of story. That's really all there is to it. Stained diapers get hung out on the line in the bright sun for that bright white look. Seriously. It's really that easy.

2. How to swish a diaper. Hold the diaper by an unsoiled area ('cause I'm a pansy like that) and dip repeatedly into the toilet. Hold on tight and be sure to pull the diaper up out of the water before you flush. Don't ask me how I know that. ;) Park your diaper bucket near the toilet for easy transfer of wet, somewhat icky diaper.

3. Picking your diapers... Gone are the days of diaper pins and folding diapers. I've done these. We used 'em with my little brother and sisters (10, 13, and 16 years between us, so I really have done these). Gone are stinky rubber pants. Now you have so many choices you'll have trouble deciding. Google it. Ask your friends which ones they like. I use Gro Baby. Love 'em. They were a good price and they leave me with the smallest wash/work load. They are great and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who wants to do cloth diapers.

4. Guilt. Drop it. Don't even worry about it. Cloth diapers are great for all the reasons you already know. Yeah, yeah.... the environment. Landfills. My wallet shrinking from the cost of diapering all the babies we've had around here.... All that said, I figure every time I use cloth, I'm not using a disposable. I do use disposables. They are so nice for going shopping. They are also so nice for babies who like to sleep all night and leave their mommas to peaceful dreaming. Cloth diapers, not so much. So, use cloth at home when life allows. When the kids are all puking and you have your hands too full already, fall back on the diapers that you throw away. It's really okay. No stress, people.

Any questions? Hope you go for the cloth diapers. Besides being really good things to do, there is nothing cuter than those diaper covers on a chubby little baby running all over the house. I'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. Comments make me so happy that I dance around the room! ;)