Friday, May 6, 2011

Derby Pie

Derby Pie 045

It’s Oaks Day, dear ones. That’s the day before the Kentucky Derby, when the fillies race for the lilies, the ladies dress nicely and wear fancy hats, and even the men-folk get cleaned up in their best duds. Well that’s true, but not so much at our house. We usually spend the day at home planting things in the dirt and cooking yummy stuff to eat. Somehow, that works for me. Must admit, I am a bit jealous of my friends who are lucky enough to be at Churchill Downs today.

So, with the flowers planted and the herbs tucked into their bed in front of the house, I’ve been busy baking Derby Pie.

Derby Pie. Imagine a big chocolate chip cookie, with pecans, and gooeyness, and pie crust. That’s Derby Pie. And it’s easy. Here we go!

Derby Pie 034

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup pecans, chopped
6 oz chocolate chips… but let’s be honest here, I don’t measure. I just pour. 
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Derby Pie 035

This is almost too easy. Combine your sugar, flour and eggs. Then, add the melted butter.

Derby Pie 038

Now for the pecans, chocolate chips and vanilla. Mix it up and pour it into an unbaked pie shell.

Derby Pie 039

Not unlike cookie dough, is it?

Derby Pie 044 

Bake at 325 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes, until brown.

These pies are going to the Mother/Daughter Banquet with me, so I can’t cut one to show you. Just trust me, these are very, very wonderful pies. The chocolate chips and pecans kind of settle to the bottom of the pie. It’s best with a big glass of milk or some strong, dark coffee.

So get busy and get the pie ready so you can eat it while watching the Derby coverage on TV tomorrow.

And girls, if you are there at the Derby or the Oaks… I’m eating my pie, all by myself. Can’t wait to see your pictures on Facebook. :)

 

**Do you like Fur Lined Toilet Seats? Hope you’ll "follow” here or join me on Facebook. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and visit. :)

3 comments:

  1. we are making our Derby Pie today! Best pie EVER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Guess I'll have to make my own pie since you won't share with me;)

    I hope one day you get to experience the Derby. It's so much fun to be there with the excitement and see all the pretty hats. I recommend having actual seats though. It's very crowded and you can only see the track if you have seats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shannon... Technically, we have been to Derby. Somehow the mad rush into the infield just isn't the same as dressing up in heels, a dress, and a pretty hat like you did. ;) I'd love to dress up and go anywhere at this point. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. Comments make me so happy that I dance around the room! ;)