Monday, August 30, 2010

Our Little Home School Classroom

100_7329

Two weeks of school completed, I finally have our schoolroom ready.  It’s far from perfect, but we are so glad to have this special little classroom area in our basement.  Want a tour of our home school and play area?  Here goes.

100_7331

Two of our desks came from my Grandma Belma’s garage.  I loved these desks when I was a kid.  I’d sit out there playing school, making up pretend students, taking attendance and preparing lesson plans.  I’d practice my speech for my first day as a teacher.  I really did. 

Seems funny that I’m using those same desks for my kiddos.  They were a bit rough (especially the writing surface), so I made some cool scrapbook paper mats, used contact paper to cover them and to attach them to the desks.  We have loved these mats.  They are in their second year and they really make the desks special to the kids.  I am told that they want their desks painted (pink for Sarah, orange for Danny and purple for Mary) before we start school next year.  The third desk came from my Mom’s house a few weeks ago so we could make room for our little “pretty-school” student.

We also added a big bookshelf.  It’s a “Gorilla Rack” from Sam’s Club.  It isn’t pretty, but it’s sturdy.  I don’t even want to try to count our books.  Our last bookshelf was only holding about half of our collection when it started to bend in the middle.  We love books.

100_7338

Keeping the littles busy while we do school is made a bit easier by having our playroom in the next room.  The kids love the train table and that adorable play mat. 

 

 

100_7334

 

This little kitchen area is a favorite of all the kiddos who visit our house.  Eric made the kitchen set for Mary when she was one year old.  It’s a great place for the kids to pretend. 

 

100_7337

 

This old trunk was my mom’s toy box.  Then, it was my toy box.  Now, it holds all kinds of dress-up clothes for the kids.  It’s a little heavy on the princess dresses and a bit light on the knight in shining armor type stuff, but I’m working on that.  I usually just add their Halloween costumes to the pile, but Danny dresses as a cowboy just about every year.  That doesn’t make for much variety!

 

100_7339

100_7341

Displaying the kid’s art work is so easy!  I grab a piece of scrapbooking paper to tape the picture to and then tape it on the wall.  Not fancy, but the kids and I love to see the things they draw on display.  I always date the pieces I keep.  When these pictures come down, I’ll file them away for the kids to enjoy when they are older.

100_7327

 

It’s not perfect or worthy of Better Homes and Gardens, but I feel so blessed to have such a great area for my kids to learn and play.  Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Have I ever told you that I love reading your blog's! Thanks for giving us a tour of your school. I hope your kids realize how blessed they are to have such a wonderful "teacher"!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. Comments make me so happy that I dance around the room! ;)