Friday, April 30, 2010

All I Need is a Pretty Hat...

I love the Kentucky Derby.  It's so beautifully perfect.  It's not the fast horses or the beautifully manicured lawns.  It's certainly not the thrill of betting money, as the thought of losing that money makes a tightwad like me nearly ill.  It's not the Mint-Julips either.  I'd rather have a glass of iced tea any day, with or without the mint!

I love the Kentucky Derby because it's the one day of the year when it's acceptable and even encouraged to dress with class and style and wear a beautiful hat.  Don't tell anyone, but I love those hats and dresses!  I watch the news coverage of the day, just to see what the ladies are wearing.

I'll be at home for the Derby, probably trying to catch up on some laundry.  I just can't help but think that it would be more fun in a pretty dress and a hat.....

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I have also always loved Derby time! It is a time when everyone seems to remember how to have "fun" from the Thunder over Louisville to The Derby.... I once lived just maybe 2-3 miles from Churchill Downs and can remember as the Limo's would go by just guessing at who was in them! I also remember it was about this time "many" years ago that I met my best friend~my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more!! Especially when I'm not "home" to enjoy it all. I have never been to the Derby, but have always wanted to go so I can buy a pretty dress and georgeous hat to go with it, watch the beautiful horses and enjoy the day! Of course I would want to go on a SUNNY spring day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenny and I went to Oaks for the very first time this year. I wore my clearence find dress from Kohls and a beautiful white hat I dressed up myself with ribbons, netting and stargazer lillies. It was an amazing time. People are much more civil, happy and social when they are dressed up. The weather was georgeous and so were peoples spirits. We met people from California, New York, Boston and Canada. It was a wonderful show of what happens when the beauty of fashion meets the beauty of the human spirit at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. Comments make me so happy that I dance around the room! ;)